Quote:
There's plenty of Eye Candy on the Wii as well. It's no slouch in that department.

That's what I keep saying! I fully realize that it's not in the same league [graphically] as the 360 and PS3, but there are so many people out there with the misconception that the Wii is absolutely nothing more than a smaller Gamecube. I was a little shocked to watch a Diggnation episode, and Alex was dead serious about his claim that the Wii's innards contained the exact same hardware as the Gamecube. Obviously, this is not the case.

The way I see it, no, the Wii did not take the jump in power that consoles usually do. It took a step. It seems to me that (on average) the Wii is picking up in the graphics department where the GC left off. Yes, there were games that looked better on the GC (RE4 is the one usually cited), but on the whole the graphics are better, IMO. Besides, we're at the beginning of the product's life cycle, and 2nd/3rd generation games almost always look better.

But you know what? Even if they don't, I could care less. The games I have right now are a ton of fun.

Quote:
At this time I can't say I'm overjoyed at the title availability for the Wii. Zelda is head and shoulders better than anything else on the platform right now. Easily 10-100x better than the other games. I'm hoping for more titles in that league sooner rather than later. Nintendo will need it to keep the console sales strong in the long run.

That's where I'm worried. Did you hear that Super Mario Galaxy and the next Metroid game are slated for next fall? That's a big problem, I think. I don't really see any big games coming down the line. Does anyone else?

*edit*

I forgot, there's one other serious issue that could mean colossal failure for the Wii.........FACIAL HAIR!!

Okay, so I'm joking, but it's been an annoyance of mine when it comes to the Mii channel. I've been to Japan, but can't remember how popular facial hair was. But apparently, in their mind everyone in the world has 3 kinds of beards and 3 kinds of mustaches, all of which are comical (and on the Wii, unadjustable).

I mean really, you can choose from what, 48 different eyes? And each one can be moved around and sized? But if you have a light beard, you end up looking like Grizzly Adams with a Mexican biker 'stache? What's with that?

Edited by Dignan (03/01/2007 19:07)