Originally Posted By: drakino
Both the PS3 and 360 have a good assortment of games available through their online stores.

True, and some of them have looked somewhat interesting to me (though not the ones you mentioned). I don't tend to put a lot of weight on downloadable games, though, when comparing the consoles. But it's true, that's something Nintendo hasn't done. And now hasn't Microsoft opened up a slew of old XBox games for download? That's a good move. Lastly, isn't Nintendo adding a downloadable games channel for original titles? I think that's coming down the line...

Quote:
As far as released in store games on the PS3 side, you named 2 of the exclusives, and other releases I can think off recently were Folklore and Heavenly Sword. Many games are being released on both the 360 and PS3 now, like Rock Band, Guitar Hero III, Call of Duty 4, The Orange Box and so on. So in the end, if you do come down to only a PS3 or 360, pick the one that has the exclusives you want, as enough other games will come out for both.

This is definitely the criteria I use. It was a no-brainer for me, though (as it was for many of those posting in this thread): if the Wii will have Mario and Zelda, I'm going with that \:\) It really is a preference thing. I know people who own the PS3 that have no interest in the Nintendo franchise characters, so it's just not their thing.

(isn't Guitar Hero III on the Wii too)

Originally Posted By: FireFox31
Bruno, did you have a GameCube? If not, you could always pick from that library of games.

I simply search the Internet for "best GameCube games" or "best Wii games" and read the "Top 10" lists at all the major gaming sites. A good search keyword is "overlooked"; I've found interesting "Top 10 overlooked games" lists for N64 and GCN which have revealed some real gems (ie: Ogre Battle 64).

And those lists will almost always include two of my favorite games of all time: Beyond Good and Evil, and Eternal Darkness (both for the GC). Both have some of the most fun gameplay and original storytelling that I've seen in video games.

Quote:
I wish there was a master list of games for Wii (and GCN, N64, SNES) with short descriptions and organized by category. That would really help sales (and virtual console sales) for guys like me who don't have a clue what games are out there.

You could check out AllGame.com.

Quote:
Everyone keeps saying Resident Evil 4 is a "remake of a modern classic". So, is it a port of few-year-old PS2 game?

No no no! The PS2 game was a port of the Gamecube game, which most people agree was the best example of what could be done with the Gamecube hardware. It was out for many many months before it hit the PS2 (and didn't have much graphical improvement, I might add). The reason people are touting the Wii version so much is that, while a port, it has a whole different feel to it now that you're able to aim with the remote. It's still a third-person perspective, but now you have more control.

Quote:
I tried Rayman 2 for N64 and there really wasn't anything special about it. Not worth playing. Maybe the Wii version is better.

Well, you might be surprised that it's a completely different type of game. Rayman 2 was a 3D platformer. Raving Rabbids is a series of minigames, like Wario Ware. I started playing it with a friend (it's not co-op, we just traded off between minigames), and had a lot of fun (and a lot of laughs - it's pretty funny).

Quote:
Is Mario Kart: Double Dash for GCN actually any good? Did it trump the all-time great Kart for N64? Better yet, will a Wii Kart outrank its older sibling?

Yes. Yes and No. Impossible to tell.

Double Dash took some getting used to, but it was a real technical step up, which made gameplay much more fluid. Basically, if you ever played the original Mario Kart, go play that again. That's what it's like to play Mario Kart 64 after playing Double Dash for a long time. The old game was insanely fun at the time, but surprisingly the technical improvements make it hard to go back. Hell, some of the most fun I've ever had with video games was playing battle mode on Mario Kart for the SNES with my best friend. But now I play the game and I'm a little spoiled.

I will say, though, that the battle mode on the N64 version is better than Double Dash.