Originally Posted By: FireFox31
Are video games getting easier as the years go on? Mario Galaxy, I love, but there are so many 1UPs and opportunities to save that it's not a real challenge.

I'm not sure if I'm just getting curmudgeony in my old age, but most games seem to get getting harder. Not necessarily in game play, but in understanding/remembering all the buttons and combinations you need to get through a game.

I made a comment to the boss' boss at breakfast a few weeks ago (we were talking about Advanced Warfighter I think it was) about how games are just getting stupid with the number of buttons they need. I told him I missed having two buttons so you could focus on the game and not the controller. One of the people in line in front of us heard me and totally agreed.

The only way I beat Uncharted was by ignoring some of the buttons totally and just using the 'important' ones. I'm sure there was a melee button, but I really doubt I ever used it.

My TV had the optical block problem a lot of Sony's have had, and games were pretty much unplayable. Because of that, I didn't touch GTA 4 for about 6 weeks or something now. If I wanted to get back into it, I'd have to restart to relearn all the controls.

PC games don't seem to suffer from that nearly as much. I guess it is because there are so many more options with an actual mouse and keyboard that combinations and esoteric actions/button aren't required.

That, and I realy wish some companies would actually hire a freakin human factor's group. Yes, I'm looking at you Sony.