As far as I can find, there isn't a single Android phone for sale in the US today with 2.2. Looks like I may be stuck with 2.1 if I'm going to start this trial this weekend. Only vague timeframes on when various devices might get 2.2.

Andy Ihnatko recommended the Droid Incredible. Possibly the Droid X if software bugs are addressed.

On the syncing front, DoubleTwist or Missing Sync may do what I want. Basically, if I add new music or photos to my computer, I usually want them on my phone too, and thats what I use syncing for. Currently the computer is also where all my podcasts come from. With the iPhone I get syncing of playback position too, allowing me to start a podcast on my phone, come home and sync and resume on the computer. Or then sync to the iPad and resume there. Same for resuming on the AppleTV. It's not something I do often these days though, as the phone has become my audio podcast player in the car, and at home I tend to watch video podcasts.

For contacts, calendar, and bookmarks, I sync over the air using MobileMe. I know Android can do contacts and calendar when tying into the Google services, not sure about bookmarks or how to get my Safari ones to Google if it is possible.