Well, if Google doesn't do anything, they risk carriers getting rid of the source of revenue helping to make Android free.

Originally Posted By: Engadget
the Fascinate search engine defaults to Bing. Bing is used for the homescreen widget. It is defaulted to in the browser. It is present across the device... and there's no way to choose a different search engine. Like, you know -- Google. When we pressed Verizon reps about this, they let us know in no uncertain terms that the stock engine is Bing without a second choice.

So, I have my locked down, closed walled garden device that lets me run Skype over WiFi or 3G, and offers me a choice of three search providers. Or I could choose the device from Samsung on Verizon powered by open Google that locks me down to using Bing, and no Skype over WiFi.

I guess the issue is, what does open mean and how does it apply to Android? Does it mean freedom for the end user? Or just for the carriers and device manufacturers? Google should probably clarify that and make a stand if it means freedom for the end user. In less then a year, Verizon went from offering the Droid, a stock Android experience pretty much, to now devices that don't even let you use Google Search on a Google OS.