Originally Posted By: peter
While there's no excuse for an MTP or mass-storage implementation that doesn't actually work (nor for bad UI or bad documentation), it's important to realise that the reason you're given more choices here than an Iphone gives you, is because your phone can do useful things that an Iphone can't. There's no mass-storage ("act as a USB key") support on Iphone, though there was on earlier Ipods; and surely "PC Internet" is USB tethering, which Iphone can't do either.

While true that the iPhone lacks mass storage (much like my Android device did until I turned on USB debugging), it does offer USB tethering for internet and has since 3.0 came out in mid 2009. If tethering is turned on in Settings, it automatically tethers and still allows iTunes to sync or files to be manually copied via the iTunes storage window. Tethering is indicated by the clock area on the lock screen being blue with the text "Internet Tethering".

For me with the Captivate, PC Internet never did anything either. My Mac never showed the connection as connected, and

Quote:
No, this is a Samsung thing. Android (at least on the two phones I've used that haven't had vendorware on them) doesn't do this.

Ahh, the finger pointing has started, I missed that from the PC world. "Nono, thats not Windows, thats Dell, blame them". I knew full well coming into this that Google has even less control over their OS then Microsoft does over Windows, but I didn't understand the extent. I wonder how many more fun "issues" this will cause for me.

I know, I'm being a bit difficult on all this, hopefully something on the phone will grow on me to counter all the negative experiences I've had so far. The rough edges are very rough to people used to polished products.