Seems the Samsung phones do have their own custom UI as well.

I'm really not quite sure what direction to go now. I have my choice of phones on every carrier, all with crapware to some extent. None offer 2.2 currently and none offer a definite date, just vague timeframes, some past when 3.0 is supposed to be out.

I'm investigating the route of also just paying for a phone outright, then selling it if I don't like it. Only T-Mobile offers non subsided monthly plans if I go that route though. Not sure how big the aftermarket T-Mobile phone arena is. Would have been nice if the new Samsung Galaxy devices were pentaband, to at least allow mixing of the T-Mobile and AT&T devices.

Twice now I've considered Android seriously, and the barrier to even get in seems annoying. Not quite sure what to think about that. At least in the PC world, if I find a system running Windows, I know how to use it and how to upgrade it to the latest OS. With the Android fragmentation and customization, I can't even say for sure how to unlock a device and start using it or when a new update will come out (if at all).