Originally Posted By: wfaulk
FWIW, the Nexus One's problem in daylight has far more to do with automatic brightness control than the display itself. If I manually turn the brightness all the way up, I have no problem seeing it at all.

Agreed. I think there might have been two times where I couldn't see my phone outdoors in the brightest light possible, but I think I just had to turn the phone ever so slightly and I could see it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the phone. Or rather, I hope you're sufficiently Captivated. Haha.

I'm certain there will be points that annoy you to no end. Just keep plugging away and give it a shot.

You mentioned podcasts earlier in the thread. Well, I do have one suggestion for a paid app. Doggcatcher is my #1 most-used app on my phone (yes, more than email). I listen to podcasts on my phone constantly, and IMO there's no better podcast manager than Doggcatcher.

I've mentioned it here before, but here's a summary, sort of all strung together:

First, forget about the feed reading aspect of the app. I have no idea why the dev added those on, but they're an afterthought.

One of my favorite things about the app are the multitude of settings. You can configure each podcast's downloads separately or leave a global setting. You can also set things like "pause playback when power is removed." I like this because if I'm charging my phone in the car, and I make a quick stop without taking the phone with me, when I turn off the car the podcast stops automatically. It does the usual "pause when headphones are removed" too.

Tell me, on the iPhone, can you download new episodes over the air? This is the main thing that brought me back to Doggcatcher from my Zune HD. I love that if I'm out on a job, I can download the day's Buzz Out Loud wherever I am. That just seems like the coolest thing to me, and it happens automatically (it checks for new episodes on a user-selected schedule).

There are two downsides:

First, you're not in Apple's walled garden anymore. So now, you don't get the syncing. I fully admit, I'm envious of that feature. I often wish that I could pick up a podcast on my computer or my home theater when I get home. It's not too bad, though, because I tend to watch the video versions of episodes at the computer or on the TV, and listen to the audio on my phone.

Second, your previous requirement of "free" isn't met. It's actually a relatively expensive app. I believe it's $7.99. For me, it's worth every single damn penny and far more. I'd pay $20 for it, with the amount of utility I get from it. Not to mention, the developer is extremely active with his updates, is constantly improving the app, and is completely open to his users. He's even incorporated at least two features that I requested myself.

Sorry for going on for a while here, but I rave about this app every chance I get. It's one of the reasons I love Android.