Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Dignan
In 2.2, though... It's like - shocker! - I can browse the freaking internet!

Wait, so up until 2.2, the Nexus One wouldn't let you browse the internet? I was able to do that in 2007 with my iPhone :-P

Ha! Well, you got me there!

Does the Best Videos 2010 thread crash the browser for any of the other Android users here?

Doesn't crash for me. The entire thread loads, followed a moment later by every embedded Youtube video. I can click on any of them to make it start playing.

Also, GPS is borked again, at lunch it said I was 1.1 km away from where I was when trying to check in via Gowalla.

Completely unrelated to anything we're talking about here, but one of the several reasons I stopped using Foursquare was that every single time I launched it it would not give me the business I wanted to check into. This had nothing to do with the phone or GPS, either. For example, if I was checking into the Glory Days Grill near my home, when I bring up Foursquare it would list the Micro Center, the Safeway, the cleaners, the Michael's, and almost every other store in the shopping center. Then, lets say I wanted to check into Micro Center. At that point it won't list Micro Center, and it will list other stores in the shopping center including Glory Days Grill! I'm sure a portion of this can be attributed to Murphy's Law or something, but I would experience this problem about 90% of the time I tried to check into places.

Anyway, sorry for the brief rant that has nothing to do with anything, I just had to get that off my chest...

Quote:
I'm really leaning towards just returning this phone early. Most of the posts here from Matt and others seem to be pointing the finger towards Samsung as the problem. Maybe I will reconsider the Evo once Sprint decides to call me. Any thoughts on going that route? My main concern there when entertaining that idea earlier was the battery life.

From what I've heard, the Sense UI is the best of the skins, though it has its own performance issues. At this point, it pains me, but I don't know what phone to recommend.

I was listening to This Week in Google today, and they were saying that apparently it's very simple to root the Droid X now, and that while this doesn't mean that you can put a new ROM on the phone, you can remove the software that was locked onto into the phone, like the Motorola skin and any Verizon apps (if any). From what I've heard, the Droid X sounds like a really great phone.