Okay, it looks like I've encountered my first, legitimately stupid bug in Android. I'd be grateful if other Android owners in this thread could let me know if this happens for them:

For those of you with more calendars in Google Calendar than just your base calendar: on your phone, please create a new even for a certain time in the future (say, tomorrow), and attribute it to one of your additional calendars (not the default one) while creating it.

After you've done that, please get on a computer and pull up Google Calendar and look at the appointment you just made.

If you're like me, then the appointment annoyingly shows up as an invitation, not just an event. It's a small thing, but it's driving me up the wall simply that it works this way. I don't want that little question mark sitting there, as it's distracting and it takes up space for the event description.

I can't do much with the invitation either. Denying it grays-out the event, making it less noticeable (which of course I don't want), and accepting it is the worst, as it creates a duplicate entry under my default calendar! I've actually taken to accepting the invitation, deleting the original, and going into the duplicate and changing the calendar it lives under. Clearly, this is not ideal.

I've been posting in a Google "Help" forum, which Google apparently has nobody looking at, and it sounds like this affects many different phones running more than one version of Android. It also happens whether the calendar you're adding to is shared with anyone or not.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could test this out and let me know what happens.