It's unfortunate that your transition to Android is a little rocky. Funny, I pegged you as a non-iPhone kind of guy.

I chose pure Android and got the Moto Droid. I compared it to the Incredible and hated the HTC Sense modifications. However, once I got my sister on the Incredible, I learned to appreciate Sense.

HTC added some very cool features to Android:
- Seeing the call log for an individual contact
- "Quick contact" buttons to choose how to contact the person
- Better text selection, copy, and paste than stock

Incredible's home screens and "card view" is its biggest feature. This promotes the use of widgets for customizable quick access to your information without launching apps. It's an order of magnitude better with Themes, letting you choose between different sets of home screens. This gives you MULTIPLE sets of seven home screens; one set for each activity you may be doing (work, travel, relaxing, home, etc).

My final word on handset manufacturers modifying Android: Approach each phone as a unique product, that's the manufacturers intention. Remember, the majority of users don't know "pure Android" and simply take theirs at face value. Just let it grow on you.

But even with all that, I ditched Android for the Palm Pre Plus. Best hardware keyboard layout of any smartphone ever. Wifi tethering is better than iPhone 4 bluetooth and FREE. Multitasking and the UI in general has a usable flow that I really appreciate. A great replacement for my Treo.

Enjoy your Android.