Originally Posted By: drakino
Also, shortly before leaving for work, I discovered a comment in the Engadget review of this phone:
Originally Posted By: Engadget
One major annoyance we noticed is that neither the Captivate nor Vibrant were able to connect to our Macs in mass storage mode, and only the Captivate could connect to PCs. In practice, what that means is that transferring media and big files to and from your phone becomes quite a bit trickier (and slower) because you've got to use Bluetooth or something like an SD / microSD reader. We were able to connect them using Media Transfer (MTP) mode, so that's an option if you've got an app like iPhoto, Lightroom, or Image Capture available and you just need to move media. [Turns out you can finagle mass storage mode into working if you turn on USB debugging mode for some reason. -Ed.]

Well, I suppose this bug can be excused, since only a small portion of the world uses these Mac things. No need to QA your products on them before shipping them out the door. At least I know MTP means Media Transfer now, even though DoubleTwist wouldn't transfer media in that mode.

Ahhh, that is a problem. Though, from what I'm reading after a Google search of the issue, it does sound like turning on USB debugging mode will make it work in regular old mass storage mode. That should make DoubleTwist happy.

I'll accept your conclusion of Android not being ready for the newbie family member. However, I'd say that if that family member were a heavy GMail, Google Calendar, and other Google services user, Android is a fine option.

Any other things you're liking about the phone? I don't think I can help you out on the alarm snooze issue, as I think the alarm you were using was a Samsung-created app. At least, my default alarm doesn't do that pre-alarm thing you mentioned, and I don't have to long-press to snooze...and my snooze button works smile

I have to say, I think if you decided to stick with the phone, and someone released instructions for getting stock Android on that model, I'd probably try rooting it and putting that on there. I'm a little sad that you can't try out Froyo during this trial period, because the speed difference is tremendous.