Exactly what Matt said. I don't have the time or desire to check out every flavor of Android out there. Could I get used to the quirks over time? Sure. But would I enjoy the experience more then my iPhone experience? No, not after what I saw with the Samsung Captivate after a week.

As for losing my geek edge and going soft, maybe, if you look at it that way. To me though, that says that geeks are only really geeks if they use a half baked product full of major issues that they have to work around or deal with, instead of buying a fully functional product that does what they need. Is Android half baked? For me it is, at least the Android as presented by Samsung and AT&T with the Captivate. I guess a geek is ok with GPS not working, or not being able to sync pictures of his family, and losing most of a battery charge in a day due to wanting to stay connected with friends.

And maybe I've been soft for a long time then. The empeg attracted me because it was a car stereo solution that did work properly, and had hackability under a polished usability layer. OS X attracted me for the same reasons, a very powerful core, and a very polished UI/Application framework. If I wanted half baked "geeky" solutions, I would have bought a Neo35 or gone the MP3Car route in 1999 instead.

My mind was open enough to try Android for a bit, and had the device actually functioned, the trial would have been for a full month. But I'll go back to my closed minded world of the Apple iPhone, where I get the geeky bits when I want them, but it doesn't interfere with my ability to get navigation directions to somewhere.

I am still slowly working on the writeup. Some people at work are also interested. Ultimately I still appreciate Android for being out there and providing competition. I'm just not a Google person it seems.