Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: Dignan
The general idea is that while using an app repository to download a specific app is fine on the phone, it's not the greatest browsing experience. A full desktop or laptop might be better for that.

I think it's also a nice way for people interested in Android to see the apps available.

The iOS side has had both options from the start, and I'd say about 80% of the apps I have came from iTunes on the desktop. The remaining 20% or so were downloaded on the phone or iPad directly, usually when someone recommends me an app while out and about. It's a nice upgrade for Android, and even has the benefit of doing the install directly on the phone when you click buy, instead of having to then run a manual sync.

But that's it, it's not quite the same thing. There's no syncing, and there's no software you have to install on your computer. I can just browse around, and in two clicks the app is installed one my phone.

*edit*
It's been possible to do this on Android for quite a while now. There's a site/app called AppBrain that did the same thing and added social features. I've uninstalled it now because this does the same thing and is from Google.

One thing: are you certain iOS has had that "from the start?" I seem to recall that apps weren't part of iTunes at first... I know it had that feature before Android has this one, but I didn't think it was right out of the gate like you're saying...

Edited by Dignan (27/02/2011 17:31)