Coming late into this thread... I've had my Motorola/Verizon Droid X for just over a week now, coming from two years on my iPhone 3G. Random thoughts, in no particular order:

- I adore the notification pane along the top. The iPhone can be quite annoying in trying to get your attention (meeting in five minutes! there's an unknown AP nearby, should I connect to it?), while the Droid keeps all of that where you can check it if you care and otherwise easily ignore it.

- I *really* adore Swype. I can go very, very fast with Swype. My only two gripes are that (1) if you're halfway through a long word and you have a brain fart, there's no way to pick up where you left off. You have to delete the old cruft it failed to recognize and then start again. (2) Swype's custom word dictionary is disjoint from the Android user custom dictionary. Dumb.

- I've disabled pretty much all the Moto app crap.

- The nav system is almost brilliant but has a variety of quirky UI features and one genuinely annoying bug, wherein it seems to randomly hit the "back" button on me every five minutes, requiring me to reach out and have it start navigating again. I have no idea why this happens, but we were on vacation all last week, with the Droid X as our navigation system, and this got very old, very fast.

- The Gmail integration is sweet. It was a pain to get my Gmail contacts all cleaned up and merged properly, but synchronization happens transparently over the air. Unlike the iPhone, I particularly like that the Gmail app knows about Gmail labels, stars, spam handling, etc.

- The voice recognition stuff (powered by code from Nuance) is occasionally brilliant, occasionally dumbfounding.

- The built-in eight megapixel camera is total garbage. My iPhone 3G (with what, two megapixels?) takes radically better pictures.

- Call quality, over Verizon, seems to be uniformly better than AT&T. Data service is unquestionably better.

- WiFi on the iPhone is superior. The Droid X seems really dumb about dealing with my home WPA2 network. Sometimes, it just wedges on "acquiring an IP address." The support for the WPA2 Enterprise WiFi at work is also odd. It does connect and work, but there was no way to install the client-side certs. That means that any server could well pretend to by my office network and use that to spoof me, possibly getting my login credentials (although I'm not entirely clear on the relative security of the different WPA2 Enterprise authentication modes). On the iPhone, all of this just magically worked, including downloading our enterprise WiFi config as an email attachment which auto-configured everything in one click.

- The Droid X is remarkably comfortable in the hand. I thought it would be too big, but it isn't. The goofy curve on the back turns out to be perfect for pressing the speaker into your ear.

- Battery life is comparable to my iPhone.

- DoubleTwist on my Mac "works for me." It was slow to scan my library, but after that it really just magically worked, transcoding my Apple Lossless audio files and my various video files.

- There's enough internal memory on the Droid X, unlike earlier phones, that you don't have to get particularly wigged out by what goes where.

- The Droid X web browser is very fast, but an iPhone's browser is optimized to scroll smoother, zoom smoother, etc.

- The Droid X charges via micro USB. So does my Jawbone Bluetooth gizmo, as does my Kindle 2, as does my wife's new LG cheapo phone. I can now standardize on micro USB chargers everywhere and be done with proprietary cabling and chargers. (Didn't Apple promise to switch to micro USB to follow some new EU initiative?)

- Of course, the new treadmills at my gym have iPhone-proprietary connectors on them, to blow up video from your iPhone for everybody to watch over your shoulder, versus the micro-HDMI connector on my Droid X. (And, the new Panasonic LX5 camera I've got on order has **mini** HDMI, so I'd have to buy a mess of oddball cables if I wanted to support both of those.)

- I haven't yet tried to tether or jailbreak or whatnot through my Droid X. Regular old-fashioned WiFi seems to be amply available for my laptop anywhere that I'd care to actually use it.

- I intend to jailbreak/unlock my old iPhone 3G for the next trip I make overseas and see about acquiring a local SIM card. I have no such travel yet on the agenda, so we'll see how that goes.