Originally Posted By: Dignan
Tom: I just heard on a random internet video that even the Samsung app launcher is different. Apparently when you brought up that master list of apps, it had you scroll sideways? I just wanted to add this to the "that's not how it is on my phone" list.

In default Android it's a vertical scrolling list, which I think I like more.

Eh, either way works, and it definitely didn't factor into my like or dislike of the device. Left to right made sense to me, since the home screens also move left to right. Also, to get into that list it's a single button. From what I've seen of "stock" Android, it's normally a button on the bottom that you swipe up, so up and down makes a bit more sense there.

What did strike me as odd with the Samsung one is the random color blocks it would put behind all the apps in the launcher. If I put an app on one of the home screens, the colored background went away.

I found this odd when reading the Engadget Epic 4G (Galaxy S for Sprint) review
Originally Posted By: Engadget
We just spoke with Samsung, who told us that Google is now requiring that the "use wireless networks" setting for location-based services be turned off by default in Android devices -- in other words, no AGPS unless you manually enable it. Sure enough, we went into Settings, found that it was disabled on the Epic, turned it on, and we were good to go. No GPS bug!

Even with that setting on with my Captivate, GPS performance was, well, horrible. I can't remember what the default was, but I definitely had that setting on, and I do know my wireless equipment is at least in Skyhook's database.

The same Engadget review also noted the misleading power information from the Android battery monitor.
Originally Posted By: Engadget
we got 3 hours and 43 minutes of use from 97 percent power to shutdown with the phone in 4G hotspot mode while occasionally interacting with the handset, continuously streaming internet radio, and doing... well, you know, other "internet things" on our connected laptop. Interestingly, we checked Android's built-in battery monitor shortly before the Epic shut down -- the screen where you can see what components and apps have been draining your juice the most -- and were surprised to see it report that the display had allegedly been responsible for 55 percent of the drain, despite the fact that we had played with the phone for perhaps 10 to 15 minutes of the entire test.