Originally Posted By: Dignan
All I know is that I can unlock my phone and with one tap on my home screen my laptop is connected to the internet. I prefer that.

I'd prefer the option that doesn't even require me to touch the phone, and the Bluetooth DUN support of the iPhone allows for that. Of course, I'd also have to have tethering as an option, so the Nexus One on T-Mobile still wins here. With how infrequently I need tethering, I can't justify the $20 a month fee AT&T wants (or the $30 fee Sprint wanted on the Evo).

As for the app suggestions, I'll probably come back through and look at them more later. For now I still feel like I'm settling in trying to figure things out, so I don't want to rush ahead too quickly. Priority for now is to try and do everything I was doing with the iPhone and adjust to the little things.

The AGPS "fix" of putting in a google server instead of some other one via a deeply hidden menu seems to have fixed the AGPS issue. Gowalla is locking on to my location now quickly enough to check into places. One annoyance though, the GPS icon in the bar at the top is very distracting, any way to make it less so? It flashes between two states rapidly that it draws my attention every time, and I could really care less what the exact status of the GPS lock is.

I've found a number of apps that came with the phone that require WiFi to be disabled, including the built in AIM messaging. Well, again here comes a confusing point, is AIM actually built into Android? If I go into contacts, I see "Chat using AIM" to any of the people I have in there with account info, just as I see "Chat using Google Talk". It then launches an AIM login that requires WiFi to be off. I downloaded AIM from the Marketplace, and it appears to be different. To add to the confusion, under "Android Widgets" I have Instant Messaging which appears to be ties to the AIM stuff out of contacts. This is separate from the "Samsung Widgets" section.

I did get work e-mail set up, and one feature that is nice on Android compared to iPhone is the ability to set a push schedule, and poll or disable outside the schedule. Keeps the phone from beeping like crazy at night, but still lets me get instant delivery during work hours. Also, on the topic of e-mail, any way to turn off or change my mailbox view at the top? It's nearly worthless for my home IMAP server, due to shortening the visible folder text. For example, I have a folder titles "Online Receipts", then inside that folder are additional folders for various places. All I get on the Android e-mail client are "Online Recie" over and over again without the ability to tell what each is.

Battery life is hard to judge so far. I don't feel I've used it a ton, and am down to 12% now. It was fully charged 13 hours ago, though oddly the phone says 9 hours ago. I'll have to see how it goes over the next few days. The battery indicator does seem pretty useless though. For how many pixels it uses, it seems to just have 4 or 5 positions. I found the iPhone icon much more usable, and even better when battery percentage was added.

Google Listen so far seems to be dealing with my podcast needs, once I got bast the useless built in search. One feature I really like is the queue. I can wake up, queue up "Today in the Past", then start my drive to work, with the phone seamlessly going right back to where I was in another podcast once John Hodgeman is done entertaining me in the morning. I never did find a quick way to do this on the iPhone, so I tended to just resume whatever long podcast I was last on.

Doubletwist seems to work for syncing music onto the phone, but photos, not so much. As best that I can tell, I get the option to just select then drag and drop. Not much syncing there. The mess it leaves in Gallery is also useless, with a bunch of folders in alphabetical order. The folders are all my various named events out of iPhoto. I'm used to a chronological order, makes finding photos much easier.

One day down, 29 more to go. I'm slowly getting used to the android way, though I still don't always remember what button is where. It doesn't help that the phone seems to enjoy turning off the backlighting on the buttons as quickly as possible. I've also has a number of times where I thought I pressed something, and nothing happened, probably due to being in the dead spot between the screen and the buttons. Overall, if forced to have touch buttons, I prefer this layout compared to the Nexus One. The gap allows enough space that I haven't hit a button accidentally when typing. Back is a very strange button so far, sometimes doing what I expect, other times showing some unexpected behavior.

Oh, random odd thing that came in from somewhere outside normal Android. Certain places, including system settings do have the little springback when scrolling past the end. It's not everywhere though, so not sure what is doing it. I think having it in some places but not everywhere is even more confusing then not having it at all. Something more pure Android, what is with the tendency to have checkboxes with fake checkmarks? I've noticed the default checkbox also has an outline of where the check will go, and on a number of screens with certain color schemes, this makes it look like the box is already checked.

Text selection is going to drive me up the wall at some point. So far I haven't needed to do much, but even simple cursor placement, well, isn't simple. Really understanding why the Nexus One and a few other devices have hardware to control the cursor now.

Also, any easy way to take screenshots these days? Would make describing certain things much easier.