Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: tman
Originally Posted By: Dignan
That way it won't trigger when/if I plug it into a power chord anywhere else

So you rock out with your guitar?

Heh, exactly.

...or simply a micro USB cable plugged into one of those USB AC adapters.

I've also set up location-based events. Now, when the app checks in with GPS it detects if I'm at home, my mother's house, or my in-laws house. If it sees that I am, it turns on the WiFi, and turns off Bluetooth and GPS.

I've never understood this obsession with turning wifi, bt and gps off... from a system power point of view:

- There is just no point in turning bluetooth off. The power of bluetooth in standby is pretty much nothing (like, much less than 1/10th of cell standby power, the one that's quoted in hundreds of hours if you're not doing push mail). Remember bluetooth headsets can be on standby for literally weeks with tiny batteries.

- Wifi power is also very small, because it's just waking up to do a network scan "every now and then". At least on the iPhone, it'll only scan when the screen is on or there are live network connections, which instantly dwarfs the power required for the scan. Not sure on Android but I wouldn't be surprised if it works much the same.

- GPS is one thing which does truly suck power (can easily take almost half a watt, and will likely fire up the cellular radio for AGPS assistance too)... but do you run background GPS tasks on your phone?

If it were up to me I'd take the buttons away from the user, but I guess there are valid reasons to disable the radios beyond airplane mode... it's actually fairly likely that your location-based event system is burning more power than the subsystems would have taken had they been left on.