Originally Posted By: RobotCaleb
I'm not intending to finger point, simply making sure that you don't blame Android for a problem that isn't Android.

Fair enough, though the end result is still the same. Frustrated user, poor experience. Knowing who to blame doesn't fix the problem. Google doesn't sell phones anymore, so I don't have many options to get a "pure" experience. I'm getting the same experience any other customer pondering an Android device would get.

I did try Google Maps Navigation this morning to get to work. Put in Tom into the search field, and it showed my home and work address (though it didn't differentiate these, just listed both addresses), so far so good. Told it to route to work and it sat on "Searching for GPS" for a while, with a flashing icon in the notification area changing between a satellite dish, and one receiving data. Saw the same thing last night a few times, seems thats it's way of telling me it's trying to lock onto my location. Very distracting. Finally five minutes later the phone started routing me to my work, after I had already given up and just started driving. I also ignored the first route suggestion, as Google seems to like going through a very scenic neighborhood with speed bumps and 15mph limits in parts, instead of on a 65mph highway. Once I turned on the highway, it quickly rerouted. It did seem to frequently see me off course though, and interrupted my podcast with bizarre directions due to it thinking I was a few blocks over. I guess the GPS wasn't getting a good signal, though I had the Samsung phone in the same place 3 generations of iPhones have been, and never had a problem that bad. Will probably improve if I can track down a proper car dock for this thing.

Rereading the Engadget review, seems they may know what is going on here too, again awesome QA on this product.
Originally Posted By: Engadget
And here's a bigger issue: incredibly, we've been able to verify that AGPS ships totally broken on both phones -- in other words, you can't get a wireless network-assisted fix. When we first reviewed the phones, we admit, this is a feature we'd taken for granted, especially since they ship with stock Google Maps -- and you don't realize just how much you need reliable AGPS until it stops working. There's a fix floating around -- and we have to believe Samsung is going to fast-track a firmware update -- but for now, this is the first thing you're probably going to want to do once you get the phone.