It's Google cheesy and unprofessional execution of their mobile product(s) I have issues with. The Nexus is and always has been nothing more than a basic/typical HTC-built Android reference, essentially used as same, a reference platform. Maybe Google were testing the waters with retail sales, maybe not. It's clear from their actions that retail didn't pan out - sales were abysmal.

As an aside, apart from a select few geeky types, I don't believe for a second that anyone is actively seeking out Android phones. Google has put itself in the Microsoft-style position by simply becoming a de-facto fall-back for OEMs. They're going a few better than MS however because they're essentially providing the goods for free and allowing OEMs to change whatever they want. This is a win-win for most OEMs since it gives them a base OS to start with along with a ton of tools they don't need to develop themselves. It's not turning out to produce great handsets, but that's not something most OEMs have been concerned with anyway, as long as they're able to crank out a dozen models per year.

I still have great interest in Android personally, but again, because it provides a nice package of a base OS, graphics libraries and tools. This is from the OEM perspective. I wouldn't be interested in the least in developing commercially *for* Android handsets, since Google has made it pretty clear they're not going to stand by it to make it really shine as a stable and polished platform, nor are they interested in helping ISVs monetize their work. Free software is better for Google's ad revenue. And as long as OEMs are leading the charge and providing ad hits, there's really little impetus for Google to cater to the retail market and consumers with fit and polish.