I dunno, it seems to me that you're coloring your Google TV forecast too much based on the Android situation. I can see some parallels, in that there are multiple hardware platforms to support, but I'm assuming some level of learning from their mistakes, and without the carriers to worry about, they can probably keep the experience pretty consistent across the devices, with the obvious exceptions that the TV is a TV and the blu-ray player is a blu-ray player.

I'm not really sure I buy into your idea that a device needs to fit into a single category of being a "streamer" or a "rental box" or whatever. HTPCs do a lot of different things, because the home theater has become a nightmare of walled-off content. Simply doing one thing well means you're just another box that I have to switch to on my universal remote. My PS3 gives me rental and some limited local content capabilities, but not enough streaming service integration and no way to record shows on my cable/satellite. Boxee does some of these things very well and others it's just okay at. Google TV seems to be aiming at almost all of the things Boxee does well, plus the DVR integration. Why does it have to fit into one single category, and what single category does Boxee fit into that Google TV wouldn't?