I've read some speculation in the forums that the changes with 1.0, basically abandoning the previous UI, were motivated by Dlink. SO this may be a case of the Boxee guys scrambling to try and put back whatever past functionality they previously had while struggling with the Dlink relationship. No idea if that's even remotely true.

do recall from CES that there was supposed to be another product featuring Boxee on-board, but I haven't heard anything about it since that time. I'm not sure if any other moderately significant players would be interested in deploying a Boxee-powered product. What would the differentiator be? Especially since this product is already positioned in large part as a Boxee product ("Boxee Box" name and all).

If you ant to see something rather simple presented in convoluted fashion, look at the screenshot showing the revision to the library scanning frequency. Even the title of the option needs work/clarity, never mind they have at least one, but more like two options too many to choose from.