Originally Posted By: tonyc
On paper, Google TV should be right in my wheelhouse...

Hey, look who you're talking to! I'm one of the biggest Google fanboys you'll meet (yeah, I said it, it's true), but surprisingly I have no interest whatsoever in the Google TV products. Maybe it's because I already have a Tivo...

For me, there's two things I want from a media streamer. I want to watch locally-stored videos and Youtube. My Tivo can do this already, but very clumsily. To me, the Boxee Box looks to have the best interface of all the options out there.

Another thing that bugs me about Google TV is the move to integrate it into the TVs. I simply DO NOT WANT integrated products, especially into my TV. I want my TV to last for years, five at least, and I just don't see any of these devices or services lasting five years. Hell, I wish my TV didn't have speakers built-in, so I understand I'm at an extreme here, but it seems a little foolish to me to rely on any of these integrated solutions.

The race is on, Bruno! I did order a good long while ago, so we'll see who gets it first. Initially, Amazon sent me a notice saying it would get to me on 11/16, even though I'd ordered overnight shipping (thank you, Prime). Recently, though, they revised it to the 12th. I can't wait!

One last note: have you guys seen the remote solutions for the Logitech and Sony Google TV products? Are you kidding? Do these companies honestly think they're going to be able to mass market a solution that adds a huge keyboard to the living room? I consider my wife to be pretty darn geeky, but she is not going to want a keyboard sitting on the coffee table. And as far as I'm concerned, the Apple TV remote is too far in the opposite direction. Any input for these devices is going to need some sort of text entry, and I think Boxee has the right solution. You get keyboard input without requiring users to have a giant keyboard or a smartphone.