Originally Posted By: Dignan
I know that's one form of feedback, but it's really the most basic, and what company doesn't listen to that particular form of feedback?

Sadly quite a few. I saw Compaq spend way too much time in engineering working on a few specific new server models customers didn't want, then putting them on sale, and most likely ending up wasting a lot of money when they didn't sell. Same for keeping some product lines running well past when users wanted them. I've seen software companies do the same, implementing some feature or change users didn't want, but some exec did. It's sadly more common then you may think. With Apple, even Jobs tends to keep a grounded user approach to products and decisions. His decisions may not always line up with all the users, or even a majority, but he's usually quick to correct himself when needed. Plenty of other heads of companies have similar powers over design and products, without the grounding into what the consumer actually wanted.

Are you talking about the physical switch on the side? Because I was under the impression that it was being changed back to a mute button. If that's what you mean, I don't think I'd be a very happy iPad customer. I get the whole "consistent experience" thing, but like I said, why not give people the option?

No, I'm talking about the overall option. Your initial statement came across to me as if the entire thing had been removed because Jobs said so. It wasn't. When the iPad was first shown, the physical switch was a mute switch. Then, shortly before launch, it changed to be a screen rotation lock, likely due to Apple knowing it would be useful, but without an easy way to implement it in software quickly before ship. iOS 4.0 was well in development while 3.2 (iPad only iOS release) was locked down and being prepared for shipment. Changing the switch behavior is trivial code compared to implementing some sort of universally accessible software option in an iOS release not built for multitasking. iOS 4.0 then gained the rotation lock as an option under the new multitasking/quick options bar and was added to the iPhone. Fast forward to 4.2 when the iPad is finally brought into the 4.x line, and the option remains in the same place in the quick options panel.

Besides, how often do you need a hardware mute button on your iPad? I know for certain that if I had one, my answer would be "a tiny fraction of the number of times I turn in bed while reading" wink

I know for certain (due to owning one :-P) that I need a mute switch 2 times daily. Once for when I go into the office, and don't want the iPad going "ping" every time I get an e-mail or meeting reminder, and once when I get home and want to resume my previous Netflix video before bed. Due to my iPad being secured with a PIN lock, I currently have to open my case, unlock the device, then hold down the volume down button to mute it. With 4.2, it will be a switch accessible without even opening the case, just like my iPhone. Rotation lock? I need access to that much less frequently, and every time I need it, the device will be on and in use. Thus, a software only option works just fine.