It's not just from the development point of view- it' also (mainly, IMO) a usability issue. Every option adds complexity to the user experience- sometimes it's worth it because the flexibility is worth it, but often it is not. You and I probably represent the user base that can deal relatively easily with the complexity added by options- but the majority of users will be confused and overwhelmed fairly easily. I learned this lesson much earlier in my career when developing for a wide user base. It's a bit maddening, but often delivering a clear, consise pathway through the product trumps functionality.

Now this isn't true for products with a user base of more technically minded people- so a product like Visual Studio benefits from flexibility, but something like the iPad is marketed toward a broader base and many of its users are going to be frustrated and confused by options that are not necessary. They don't want to think about how to mute, they just want to know how to do it with their device. Note that I dont have an opinion on that specific example- just making a broader point about software development.