Originally Posted By: mlord
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Well, Trevor, it appears you were correct. It seems ridiculous that it was a per-video setting

It's not clear to me (without rereading zillions of posts here) how this actually works. But the way I want it to work, is to have the subtitles on/off setting remembered on a per-video (file) basis.

When I watch a great Italian film, I want the subtitles every time I play it. But not so for English or (most) French videos. The ideal interface would remember my viewing preference per-video.

I wouldn't mind that, but the difference here was that previously there was no setting, the player just decided to have subtitles on by default for every video. Once you started playing a video, you could go into the menu that lets you choose between the various audio tracks and things like that, and turn the subtitles off. After that, you could leave the video and do other things. When you came back to the video, it gave you a choice to resume from where you left off, or restart it. Resuming saved everything about the video from before, such as the audio track selected and your subtitle preference. Restarting started the video fresh from the defaults, which used to be subtitles enabled. This is what was annoying. I don't ever need to watch my backup of Shawshank Redemption with subtitles.

After the update, however, the default in the settings was to have subtitles disabled by default (what I wanted), but any video that I had watched at any point before the update appeared to have the subtitles enabled by default, whether I was resuming them or starting from the beginning.

Naturally, this will no longer be a problem for anyone who buys the Box today, but I worry that it shows something about the company. Did they not try this out themselves? Were they testing on fresh boxes with no video carrying over?

The solution was very simple: just remove the directory from the file sources and re-add it.

Bruno, thanks for the tip about the .tbn files. It really was as easy as saving a jpg of the cover art and renaming the extension to .tbn. Now I have far better cover art for some of the movies.

I really don't know how it goes about choosing the art for some of this stuff. Take, for example, Highlander. The cover art it chose is below.

I ran a Google image search for "Highlander," and scrolled through at least five pages and couldn't find it. I had to narrow the search to black and white images. That art doesn't appear on IMDb, and it doesn't exactly show up on Amazon (there's an angled view of it). I don't know what made their algorithm choose that image over the dozens of others I ran across...

Attachments
Highlander_1_poster.jpg

Edited by Dignan (27/11/2010 22:42)