Originally Posted By: Dignan
They give you the following source scan frequencies:
  • Never - you want to add the source, but not have it show up in your metadata-tagged library. You could still browse to it somewhat quickly
  • Once - if you don't plan on making changes to a source, why make the Box keep scanning it?
  • Daily
  • Hourly

Ok, first, they call it scan "types" which is kind of lame for both people who are technical and those who are not.

They have always had four options in the betas. That "hourly" is not new, it's just new to 1.0 and the title "hourly" itself is new. At some point you have to stop adding convoluted options, and IMO, those four aren't all needed. Someone will ask for options for 5 hours, 2 hours, every three days, etc.

The Never and Once items for instance will do the same thing on an ongoing basis. The only difference is at the point you make the addition. Ok, remove the once option and just do a manual scan when you first add it. The "once" option doesn't make any sense on a persistent setting - when is that "once?" What happens when you go back to this settings page? What does the "once" mean then? Ambiguity.

I'd first rename the whole option so it's indicative of what it actually does. I probably wouldn't label it "Scanning Frequency" though it's more accurate. I'd have to look at the screen again and give it a few minutes of thought. Maybe "Automatic Scanning"

Then I'd probably leave it with two items to choose from. Never (off) and "Scan on a schedule" - this last option would then allow you to scroll through sub-options to make sure everyone is appeased: Every "1...24 hours, 48 hours, weekly, monthly"

Anyway, it was just an example of them just quickly stuffing options.

Quote:
For me, the daily scan isn't great, but others might find it useful. Really, I just wish it would scan based on something the user did, like going to browse your local files.

I agree, though it would be better with a different trigger. That is, I'd like it to check even more regularly than hourly, but do so in a way that has negligible or no impact if the filesystem hasn't been touched. Not sure if the mod date on the added folder would be suitable for this.

Having it work while using the UI and watching videos would also be ideal, they really need to lower the impact and throttle the scan so it can happen. I'd hate to add a few movies and then sit there for hours doing something else non-Boxee related before they show up and I can watch them. I know I can browse the filesystem to hit them right away though.

Edited by hybrid8 (06/12/2010 13:01)