Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Is there some problem with the old UI? I've been using it and don't have any issues.

The old UI is deprecated and has a number of usability issues along with the build having many bugs.

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
The default skin for the version of XBMC I downloaded ages ago (MediaStream) seems basically equivalent to the Boxee skin. I'm not really sure what you're going on about.

The XBMC screen shots on their current page as well as those of all the skins, look absolutely nothing like Boxee. The current UI has the main menu items vertically stacked along the left side and each time you select them, the background of the screen changes. It's atrocious. All the skins look like they were put together for use on a monitor that sits about 2 feet from your face, not a TV screen, and they're all super busy. Everyone seems to want to throw up as much "fan art" as possible without ever taking the time to work out the basic principles of a good base interface.

I'm a UI snob though, so maybe it will appeal to some people. I don't think XBMC will appeal to the mass market however. Another thing they need to do is change the name of the project. The "XB" art of ye name is, among other things, a totally irrelevant concept.