Originally Posted By: mlord
Logitech makes a nice lightweight (nearly fullsize) combo "Cordless Mediaboard for PS/2" with touchpad. Works fine with PCs as well as the PS/2.

Except that he was looking at "the Logitech diNovo Mini, Lenovo N5901, and the Boxee Box Remote amongst a sea of other cheap little keyboards." That Logitech is nothing like those and far bigger. Your household might be different, but over here a full-sized keyboard with trackpad simply wouldn't fly smile I also just don't want it myself. It seems like a bad form factor for a lean-back experience. The only reason for a full keyboard is if you plan on doing a LOT of typing, and that seems unpleasant on a home theater TV anyway. But hey, it's great if it works for you.

I can speak to at least two of those small keyboards, though:

N5901 - I bought one of these in an online sale Lenovo was running where it was something like half-off. I wouldn't recommend one. The plastic feels really cheap (the trackball especially), the keyboard is not at all fun to type on, and the keys all sort of blend together with no separation between them. It's really bad - avoid it.

Boxee remote - I own a Boxee, so naturally I'm a bit partial to the remote, but that doesn't mean it's without its problems. While I don't find myself pressing the letter keys when using the front of the remote, I do often accidentally click the d-pad when typing. The front of the remote also has a bit too few buttons for my taste. The last problem I'll talk about in the next paragraph. All that said, the remote works perfectly, and it's nice to not need line of sight.

Dinovo Mini - This is the one I can't speak to from having used it, but when I was looking at putting together an HTPC, this was my number one choice. The only reason I haven't picked one up is that it's the most expensive of the mini keyboard options that I've looked at. IMO it's the perfect form factor for an HTPC remote/keyboard, with a great set of controls. But the primary reason I'd recommend it without even having used it is the back-lit keyboard. After using the Boxee remote for several months now, this is its biggest problem. I often use the remote when the lights are dimmed, and unless they're very bright it's impossible to read the keys.

So there's my opinion, whatever it's worth. The only negative I'd have for the Dinovo (aside from the very high price), is that it's bluetooth, and I hate bluetooth (but we've gone over that before, and I seem to be far outnumbered in that opinion smile ).

Good luck!

Edited by Dignan (10/04/2011 12:35)