Originally Posted By: gbeer
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
It's probably still doing a lot better than Google TV though. smile

Don't know about that. At work, I've heard exactly zero chatter about the boxee, talk so far is about Apple and Google TV.

Yes, there's talk about Google TV, but that's because it's Google and it's an ambitious product. There was a lot of talk about the Kin, too, and I'm pretty sure that more Boxee Boxes have been sold than Kin phones smile I know that's a bad analogy because of different types of devices, but sometimes awareness isn't everything.

The best sellers, though, are Apple TV and Roku. Naturally, that's because they both have the best prices, and Roku arguably has the best product (AND the best price).

I think seeing a bunch of returns on a shelf and calling that a failure is a little premature. I, for one, am completely satisfied with the services my Boxee Box currently provides. I'm very disappointed that they didn't get the services they promised in the amount of time they promised them, but what they have already I'm more than pleased with.

I use the Boxee Box for three things and three things only:

1) watching local content - this thing is fantastic for watching my local media and no other commercial device out there does this better.

2) renting movies - I've now watched about a half dozen 1080p movies with full surround sound. Not many other set top boxes have vudu support, and no other streaming service delivers the video/audio quality that vudu does.

3) watching online video - IMO, no other box does this as well as the Boxee Box, and for one reason: Watch Later. I have a browser bookmark which, when I see a video I want to watch on the big screen later, I just click this bookmark and it's saved to my list. The next time I'm at my TV, I can just go into my list of videos and watch away. I click that bookmark at least twice a day. It's a great way to save great clips to show friends later, too.

So, as I've said before, I couldn't be happier with the services my Boxee Box provides already. The one missing component is Netflix, and that sounds so close to completion it's driving me nuts. I also have a feeling it's going to be one of the best implementations of Netflix of any device on the market at the moment, tied only with the PS3 (at least this is the impression I got from Avner Ronen when I was emailing him).

Oh yeah, and I love the keyboard on the remote. All set top boxes should have this or a really good remote app for all smartphone platforms. I refuse to ever use a d-pad to type ever again smile I do wish the keyboard was backlit, though...