Originally Posted By: tonyc
It's starting to sound like the best option for many people is going to continue to be running a Mac Mini or small form-factor Linux box running Boxee. That's kinda sad.

And that's if the software for Boxee doesn't get f-ed up like it is. They are NOT going in the right direction here. They're clearly directing themselves at online video content, and I have big news for them: the content they're getting sucks. It just flat-out sucks.

The easiest thing to get to on the Box is the "all movies" list, which presents you with, as it claims, over 2000 films in one big alphabetical list. I checked out one or two of them, including "Big Buck Bunny." The animated short was kind of good, but not great, and when I selected it, I was actually taken to the web page that had the video on it. From there, I had to choose myself to display the video content in full screen, otherwise it was just playing in a little flash window in the middle of a full web page. So it took about 10 button presses just to watch one of these videos. That's a big failure in my book.

I'm thinking about it now, and really I think Boxee could address the majority of my complaints with one simple change: let me customize my home screen. At present, the home screen consists of five or so icons at the top, and three random videos at the bottom that I couldn't give a sh*t about and will never ever look at. The icons are the standard ones like "movies," which take you to a view like I mentioned above.

What if I could have something as simple as a customizable home screen where I could put a shortcut to places like "local Movies" and "local TV Shows," or apps like Youtube and Netflix (eventually)? That would make things much easier, and create a minimum number of button presses.