Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: mlord
Not so sure about BIOS Setup with anything bluetooth.

The Logitech Bluetooth keyboards and mice I've seen/used in the past come with their own USB Bluetooth dongle. If the keyboard and mouse is paired to it, it works for BIOS setup and OS setup. It does this by handling all the Bluetooth side inside the dongle, then telling the machine a generic USB keyboard and mouse is attached. Later on when the OS is fully booted and loads bluetooth drivers, control is handed over from the dongle to the drivers. Some integrated Bluetooth controllers will do the same, including the ones Apple uses in their computers.

Interesting, Tom. This isn't something I've seen before. My wife's previous desktop set, Microsoft's bluetooth keyboard and mouse, were unable to work in the BIOS. It's good to know that Logitech's stuff does. I can't remember if my old Dell keyboard (basically Logitech) keyboard worked in the BIOS...

Frankly, I wish these bluetooth products would simply work all inside the dongle. Installing a bluetooth stack in Windows is a nightmare, and always breaks for me. I'll stick with RF, thank you smile

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Oh, and in addition to what Matt said about the Boxee remote, its build quality is sub-par. Super flexible and fragile with really poor tactile response on the keyboard side and a symmetrical top side that you'll find yourself picking up upside down a lot.

I'll agree on the build quality and partially on the symmetrical issue. There's a definite, raised Boxee logo on one end of the remote, so as long as I make certain to orient yourself using that every time you pick the remote up, I never have a problem.

When it comes down to it, the Boxee remote is sufficient for me. It works for what I need it for. I simply DO NOT want to type a lot when I'm at my home theater, so I only need the most rudimentary keyboard. For me, as long as I can avoid using the on-screen keyboard with a d-pad (I hate that), I'm happy.

I just thought of another possible option, but I don't know if it would even work: the Tivo Slide. I just did about 3 minutes of searching, and it looks like it might be possible to use this thing with an HTPC, but don't quote me on that, and I don't know what OSs might support it. What I do know is that this thing is now my favorite remote of all time. It's the perfect compact size (about 2/3 the size of the "glo-remote"), and has a great feel to it. Every key has a nice, soft, equal backlight. Best of all, it's a Tivo remote, and I maintain that I've never used a better remote. I even don't mind that it's bluetooth. The range has problems, and I had to add a second USB extension cable to the one that came with it in order to get it to the VERY front of my TV stand, but once I did it's worked seamlessly.