Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Keep DVDs as ISO images if you want to preserve the menu structure (AnyDVD, DVD Shrink), otherwise rip the streams into an MKV container if you want to pair it down but not transcode (MakeMKV). And if you're sensitive to file size, transcode to AVC/H.264 in an MKV container (Handbrake). Those all seem to give the best results.

Can you do a straight container conversion from VOB to MKV? I'm not bothered by file size but I don't really want to have to transcode everything.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Considering that the desktop version of the software is a BETA, they really should bring it to parity. That would allow a lot more testing on issues that are not specific to the Boxee Box hardware.

Yeah. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen anytime soon. "once we feel like the Boxee Box implementation is very strong we’re going to port it over to the other platforms. no timeline just yet."

They're just concentrating on the self contained version now and that reply makes it look like that the desktop versions are very low priority. I can see them just killing off the desktop version completely.