Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I've read some speculation in the forums that the changes with 1.0, basically abandoning the previous UI, were motivated by Dlink. SO this may be a case of the Boxee guys scrambling to try and put back whatever past functionality they previously had while struggling with the Dlink relationship. No idea if that's even remotely true.

I would be a bit shocked if this were true. I don't think I'd listen much to the users on those forums. If it were true, though, the thought of D-Link dictating interface design is one of the most hilarious things I've heard this month. They make okay inexpensive consumer hardware, but every D-Link UI I've seen is hideous. Their router config screens have always been a mess, even more than Linksys.

Quote:
If you ant to see something rather simple presented in convoluted fashion, look at the screenshot showing the revision to the library scanning frequency. Even the title of the option needs work/clarity, never mind they have at least one, but more like two options too many to choose from.

I'm not sure what the shock here is. It looks identical to the current screen, but with the "hourly" option on it. Have you not seen that screen before? And how is 4 options too many? They give you the following source scan frequencies:
  • Never - you want to add the source, but not have it show up in your metadata-tagged library. You could still browse to it somewhat quickly
  • Once - if you don't plan on making changes to a source, why make the Box keep scanning it?
  • Daily
  • Hourly

As for the last two, it's just down to the frequency at which items are added to the sources. Lets say you have a Bittorrent RSS feed set up, so that items get downloaded and added to the source all automatically. I'll give you that the daily scan is probably not needed, but some people might want it.

For me, the daily scan isn't great, but others might find it useful. Really, I just wish it would scan based on something the user did, like going to browse your local files. I'd love to know how much work the Box has to do to scan the files. Apparently running scans are halted whenever you start playing video, so I guess the Box doesn't have enough overheard to do both tasks at the same time...