Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
...only via an attached USB drive. I'd prefer it to have the option of doing this from a network share...

I'd love to hear why. It seems like a terrible inconvenience to me. I love throwing stuff on my NAS and having it automatically show up on my Boxee, all nicely sorted with artwork and episode info.

I think you are mis-reading me. I agree the sneaknet way is poor, it works but cumbersome, plus they only support limited file types/encoding schemes. The proper way is to pull it over the network, be that a file share (preferable), web server or custom app.

Ah, I did misread you and I'm sorry for that. Oops!

Quote:
Jon had previously compared Netflix's selection to Vudu's, which I believe is invalid, but I was curious as to how Amazon and Vudu differ, pricing wise their equal as you say.

I hadn't really thought about it myself so it was interesting to take a look at it for my post.

I used to really love Amazon's VOD, but now I just don't use it. First of all, I can't order video from the web and send it to my Tivo. Scratch that - technically I can, and that process works really well, but it has two problems:

1) There is no way to order HD content from the website and push it to the Tivo. You have to order it directly from the Tivo. Unfortunately this eliminates the deals you get in their weekly newsletter.

2) If you do order video from Amazon's website, content to get SD video, Tivo then presents it to you in the worst possible way: non-anamorphic. When you play it back, you get black bars on the top, bottom, AND sides. You can change the aspect on the Tivo remote, but this ends up cutting something off and it looks just terrible.

So I've switched to vudu entirely and I love it. The quality is stunning, the interface is excellent, and while the prices are high, I've found that I don't mind them too much. The convenience makes up for it.