Ah, I see.

Update: as much good faith that the update gave me, they lost right back again. My favorite element of the update was that subtitles would be off by default now. I mean, I was baffled as to why they would be on by default originally, but at least they fixed it...

...except nothing is different. After applying the update, I went and played a video and was presented with subtitles. I could turn them off for that video while it was playing just like I had to do for each video before. I thought "okay, maybe there's a master setting that just received the wrong toggle when they made the fix." So I went to settings, and there's an option under "subtitles" that says something like "enable subtitles by default" and it was unchecked. This is where I started getting discouraged. I changed nothing and went to play several movie files. All that had subtitles showed them to me, and when I went into the video setting (the one you reach while the video was playing), there was a check mark next to "show subtitles" or whatever it's called.

So I went back to the master setting and tried toggling it to the other setting, the one that should give me the opposite of what I want. Well, I got the exact same result. The setting appears to not do anything at all! I tried flipping it two more times and it never did anything.

Like I said, this is discouraging. I so want to believe that they're listening and making corrections, but it just really doesn't look like they're doing things well here...