Originally Posted By: tonyc
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
It's been made pretty clear in the forums that the main focus of the Box is bringing internet-based streams to your TV, whereas my most important objective is playback of local content.

Okay, but Boxee supports local content better than almost anything out there, so unless they're crippling the Box to limit features that Boxee supports already, you should be good, right?

All true, but as Bruno pointed out earlier (in the other thread, I think), Boxee is intent on injecting online content whether you want it or not, and they don't give you the option of turning that off (at least, as far as we've seen).

For example, I have every season of Buffy on DVD, but I keep a video file of "Once More, With Feeling" on my computer to watch snippets of it from time to time. On Boxee, it'll create an entry for Buffy the Vampire slayer in my list of TV Shows, which is fine. But when I go into that, I'm presented with every episode that the service is able to find streaming online.

This might seem like a cool feature, and it kind of is, but I usually (99% of the time) won't want that. It clutters things up and makes it much more difficult to get to the things I want to see. If I had a quick option to turn that on (and have it off by default), that would be great, but I don't want it always on with no ability to turn it off.

Clearly this has not been enough of an annoyance to prevent me from buying the Box, but it will still annoy me during day to day usage. Unless, as Bruno also points out, they've changed this behavior on the Box and not put it into the general release.