Now that there's a DKWT32i dev board in front of me, I finally appreciate just how tiny the actual WT32i BT module is. And it really needs hardly nothing to hook it up directly to something like an empeg.

I'm thinking of perhaps using the empeg tuner serial port for it, to remove the need for RS232 level conversions -- would still need to deal with 5V vs. 3.3V logic there, but that's much simpler than adding a MAX chip and stuff. And using the tuner port removes all conflicts with the main empeg serial port, freeing that up for debugging/programming purposes.

If the WT32i board were mounted inside the empeg, say onto a drive bay, then it could draw power from the empeg itself, and even use digital audio input (I2S) from the empeg (no hum!).

There is the small issue of a low powered RF device tucked inside an all-metal shell, but that could be dealt with in a number of ways. Eg. a replacement empeg lid made of a different material, or perhaps just a strategically located hole in the lid.

EDIT: The tuner serial port is available outside of the empeg as well, so it could be used regardless. I'll probably start with that and see how things go. And I'll use the 12V output from the empeg to the tuner as the source for powering the BT module.

For now, I'll just use a MAX chip to the main empeg serial port and try get Tony's stuff replicated inside the empeg.

Edited by mlord (03/11/2017 14:22)