I had a look at the MarkForged product line and that style looks like way overkill for what I'm trying to make, based on the types of materials they do. Looks super cool though. I'm not sure that my enclosure falls into a category that might be considered in the range of "Free sample", though I won't turn down free stuff if offered! It's in two parts, total of about 600 square centimeters in shape (don't know how much actual solid volume since it's mostly hollow).

In the meantime I've done some trimming of part thicknesses and gotten the Shapeways base price down to about $59.00 which is a bit better but still not great. I'm going to try some more trimming work.

In other news:

My current prototype unit has, after some important software bug fixes recently, run stably and without issues for several days now. The empeg and the prototype have been fully mounted in the trunk and the display board mounting in the cabin is long since done. Everything works: Start the car and it plays perfectly and all the AVRCP track stuff works perfectly. So I'm feeling pretty confident about it overall. I still fully expect that new users of the software will encounter new bugs when they try to pair it up with new gear, but I'll help work through any issues as they arise.

I have a new Pololu power supply waiting at home to try out (even though the 5v one has been running stably for weeks, I still want to make sure everything works to spec at 7.5v). I'll solder it into the prototype and see how it goes.