Yes. That's a weakness in the Arduino library. The buffersize should be a parameter to each instantiation of a Serial object, rather than a hardcoded value that is applied to each and every serial port.

Eg. Right now, if you change that define to 128, this means that all THREE of your serial ports are going to get the same large buffer, wasting a fair bit of precious RAM (on some chips anyway).

But for now, if you can spare 3X whatever the buffer size, then just go with that.

With the smaller WT32i breakout board you found (mine will be here later in the week), I suspect that board will be the one that anyone else here might choose to use. And it is a natural for placement inside the empeg. In which case, the eventual port of the Arduino sketch to native-empeg might end up being what is wanted.

And it will have no such buffer issues, not least because Hijack already captures the notify strings and maintains the latest of each in /proc/empeg_notify for app use. smile

So probably not worth fussing further over for now, at least. Heck, the Arduino library might even get fixed by the time you need a "simpler" solution. Or you could clone the serial library and distribute a fixed version for installation by others. Or just provide a pre-compiled binary of the sketch. Etc.. smile