Mark, you are a scholar and a gentleman, and an all around cool guy.

I can't wait to get home tonight and try this out. That is so very awesome.

The playlist length is not particularly important right now, I don't know how many headunits display that information. My headunit requests that information but does not display it anywhere. My code currently puts something like "99999" in that spot as a placeholder, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I know that information is in the empeg somewhere though, because one of the display modes on the empeg screen displays it. But I wouldn't knock yourself out trying to find it right now.

Crazy idea: At some point in the future you could have the serial port spit out a different (new) set of variables which are the true track number and the true length of the album (aka "source") on the serial port. Those values are something that you can potentially get out of the FIDs. Then we could have a flag in the BlueGigaEmpeg code where the user gets to choose which of those things their headunit displays: Either the playlist position and playlist length, or, the album tracknumber and album length (which, if you're shuffling the whole player, the album track/length would seem to change randomly but would still be accurate to that particular album while it's playing). Ooo. Or maybe this! If the player is shuffling, put out the playlist position/length information in the regular spots, but if the player is not shuffling then put out the album track/length informaion in place of them. But that's for the future, right now what you've got is perfect already, and I plan to implement it tonight.

Very excited about this. Thank you so much.

And I see my inbox has a response from Silicon Labs. Really excited to go look at that.