Holy shit it works. THANK YOU!

Since the IIS header on the empeg motherboard is not labeled, I'm going by your earlier post regarding the pinouts of the IIS header, and the photo of the connected wires from Stu's digital interface installation instructions.

Yellow wire in Stu's instructions: Assumed to be PL8 - Pin 1 - IISC
Orange wire in Stu's instructions: Assumed to be PL8 - Pin 2 - IISW
Not connected in Stu's instructions: Assumed to be PL8 - Pin 4 - GND - (I have added a blue wire here).
Red wire in Stu's instructions: Assumed to be PL8 - Pin 4 - IISD1
Not connected in Stu's instructions: Assumed to be PL8 - Pin 5 - IISD2

I am connecting (based on the assumptions above and your earlier post):

Yellow wire connected to BlueGiga board SCK pin.
Orange wire connected to BlueGiga board WS pin.
Blue wire connected to BlueGiga board GND pin.
Red wire connected to BlueGiga board SDIN pin.

Note: Don't usually need that blue wire except when I've got everything split out on the workbench and the empeg and the bluetooth module are getting their power and ground from two different places.

The final version of the secret command you have to issue to the BlueGiga module to make it work turns out to be:

Code:
SET CONTROL AUDIO INTERNAL I2S_SLAVE EVENT KEEPALIVE 16

And at some point in my setup code, the device eventually gets this command:
RESET

The format of the command, according the iWrap 6 command reference, is:

SET CONTROL AUDIO - The preamble for the command
INTERNAL I2S_SLAVE - The input and output audio routing. It doesn't seem to matter what I set the first one to, as long as the second one is set to "I2S_SLAVE" because that's the one we're using in A2DP "Source" mode. The other one is unused by our configuration.
EVENT - To receive audio routing events.
KEEPALIVE - Prevents DSP from powering down between A2DP streams. Removes possible clicks and pops from the beginning of the analog audio stream. Might decrease also A2DP latency. Increases power consumption when not streaming audio.
16 - Unused since we are in slave mode, it specifies the number of bits per sample when using I2S master mode. Can be 16/20/24/32 (default 24). I'm stuffing a 16 in here just for something to put in there.

Stu's instructions say something about how the audio volume on the empeg might need to be set to one notch down from 0db to keep the audio from clipping. I'm going to experiment with that.