Quote:
Or one of the main serial port pins (since they're all on the back of the case as well as on the docking connector). DCD perhaps?

Nope, only RX and TX and Gnd are connected to the serial port plug, and it would be a bad idea to get rid of those, a worse idea than getting rid of the tuner module serial connector. There are some things you can only do on the player if you've got that main serial port available. I personally know that I wouldn't give it up on my player.

There are a couple other pins coming out of that part of the serial connector, but they're being used for Cell Phone mute and Headlight Dimmer Sense instead of things like DCD and such.

Oh hey. Cell phone mute might be good for that. I think I already talked about that wire earlier. Since we're doing a bluetooth project that connects to a head unit that will have cell phone mute inherent in the bluetooth connection, a physical wire is no longer needed for that.

So are you suggesting to get another male pin for the empty one on the Molex tuner plug, and wire the docking connector pin which USED to be the cellphone mute wire and then adding that to the tuner connector instead, and then make that the 5v supply? That seems like a lot of surgery to go to just so that we don't have to build a power supply into our design. I think it's better if we just bite the bullet, do the power supply, and simplify the connector down to just that one tuner plug and three wire modifications inside the empeg. That Pololu supply I got is working fine and is super easy to wire up.